Root canals involve cleaning out the infected pulp area inside your tooth root. During the procedure the bacteria is removed, and the area is sealed to prevent future bacteria from entering. Root canals can save your teeth, and in some cases a crown is placed on top to restore the tooth.
Any dental procedure involves recovery, and patients may experience some pain. At Lompoc OMS, we offer many endodontic treatments, and our doctors have years of experience with root canal therapy. We strive to provide quality dental care, in a friendly and relaxing environment. When patients visit our office, we want them to feel like family and know they are in good hands.
How Can I Sooth Severe Pain During the Recovery Period?
Once the local anesthetic wears off after your root canal procedure, you may have mild pain or sensitivity. The pain should only last a few days. If you experience severe pain, or think you may have a complication, we encourage you to come back to be seen right away.
Over the counter medications are usually recommended to help with pain during healing. Our staff will discuss at-home care, and we recommend a soft food diet after your root canal. Once you have recovered you can resume eating normally.
Tips to Soothe Pain During Recovery
In addition to over-the-counter pain medication there are some things patients can do at home to help sooth their pain during recovery.
- Use an ice pack for immediate pain relief on your jaw near the tooth. This can also help with inflammation.
- Patients can gargle with salt water a few times a day to help soothe pain.
- Cucumbers placed on the area in your mouth can help the pain and feel refreshing.
- Olive oil on a cotton ball placed on the area in your mouth can help reduce pain.
- You can mix salt and pepper with a little water to form a paste. Applying this to the area can help sooth pain. Salt and pepper have anti-inflammatory properties.
If pain persists and does not improve after a few days we recommend contacting our office. We will have you come in as soon as possible to examine the area, and check for complications such as infection. Most patients recover normally and complications are rare.
Interested in Finding Out More About Root Canal Therapy?
If you are interested in finding out how you can benefit from root canal therapy, contact Lompoc OMS, and our staff will be happy to schedule your appointment.